You can deduct the cost of supporting your dependent children on your income tax return. To qualify for the dependent tax deduction, your child must live with you for at least half the year. For children born during the year, however, the residency requirement is waived. If you are the custodial parent of a qualifying child, you can claim this deduction and claim other tax benefits for the child. Unless you are married, other people cannot claim your child as a dependent.

What Is Dependent Tax Deduction?

A dependent tax deduction is a tax break that allows you to deduct a portion of the wages that you pay to your child. The right to claim your children as a dependent tax exemption cannot be sold or transferred in a dissolution proceeding, and cannot be used as collateral for a loan. The benefit of this deduction is a reduced tax liability and increased net income for future years. However, future tax code changes may limit how much you can deduct, and how much you can deduct depends on your income. Another tax benefit for dependents is the Earned Income Tax Credit. EITC is an income-based tax credit, and it reduces your taxable income if you are eligible.

This deduction is not limited to dependents, so it is important to check with your tax advisor to determine if your dependents qualify.

Earned Income Tax Credit

As long as the amount of wages is less than the standard deduction, you may be able to take a deduction for your children. If you hire children, however, you must make sure the wages do not exceed the standard deduction of $12,950. In 2016, the IRS allows the first-time parents to claim a dependent tax deduction of $4,050. This deduction is available for the entire year the child was born. In order to qualify for this deduction, you must get the child’s Social Security number. This can be obtained at the hospital or by filling out Form SS-5 online. You should make sure to get this completed within 10 days of the child’s birth.

There are cases where the father argues that the family court erred in transferring the benefit of the dependent tax deduction to the mother. The father contends that the transfer of the benefit is unlawful, particularly when it occurs after six years and absent a change in the circumstances. In addition, the court must consider how alimony, separate maintenance, and support will affect the tax deduction, and allocate the responsibility to claim dependent tax exemptions. It is also important to consider the cost of child care. Adult dependents can also claim a dependent tax deduction, although they must have less income than the tax exemption. Social security and other government benefits are not included in this deduction, but dividends and interest income are. Also, a child taxpayer can deduct the fair market rental value of some part of his parent’s home. As long as the child has contributed at least 50% of the parent’s financial support, they qualify for the deduction based on

In addition to a dependent tax deduction, you can deduct health insurance premiums if you’re self-employed. These expenses are counted as an itemized deduction, reducing your taxable income. However, if you have many qualifying medical expenses, the medical and dental expenses itemized deduction is particularly useful. Medical and dental expenses can total up to 7.5% of your adjusted gross income, so you can claim more deductions. Another benefit to claiming a child as a dependent is the childcare tax credit. This tax break helps parents pay for the cost of child care. The child must be under the age of 13 or disabled and must live with the custodial parent at least half the year. The tax credit can reduce your tax bill by up to $500, but it is not refundable.


Children of prior relationships may qualify for a deduction. However, if the parties share physical custody, they will often agree on the handling of the income tax exemptions for these children. For example, if one party had four children, he would owe 18% of his adjusted annual income to his children’s mother.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *